I recently (finally) got modern smartphone. My previous phone was the "free" phone from over 2 years ago. Even when I had a basic smartphone I very quickly found useful apps that used everyday.
Someone was recently asking me what apps I use on my phone. I thought it would be useful to make a list of some of my favorites here and focus on those that I use most.
Note that I am an android fan. So some of these apps might not exist in the Apple world.
Apps I use every day:
- DoggCatcher (with the Presto Sound library) - for podcasts (blog post)
- Audible - for audiobooks (blog post)
- Google Task Organizer (GTO) - I've tried many list/organizers and like this best
- Google calendar
- HootSuite - mostly as a Twitter client - I like this one for scheduling posts
- UberSocial - mostly as a Twitter client - I like this one for the reading and link previewing
- LastPass - my password vault (blog post)
- Dolphin Browser - nice tabbed browser that also integrates with LastPass
Other apps I use often:
- Blogger - for this blog
- Google Authenticator - 2-step authentication
- Google Maps
- GasBuddy - crowd-sourced gas price info
- Waze - social traffic navigation
- Google Play
- Google Play Store
- Amazon App Store
- xScope Pro - browser
- FotMob (soccer scores)
- Yahoo Sportacular - sport scores
- ESPN ScoreCenter
- NFL 12
- Lookout - mobile security package
- App2SD Pro - for managing apps, cache, SD card
Games (I'm not a big gamer but I have a few I play occaisionally):
- Angry Birds "suite" - original, space, seasons, star wars
- Doodle Fit
- Cut the Rope
I guess my main categories are: productivity, audio and social. I do have other apps on the phone, but these are the ones I use regularly.
I also like the news browsing apps like: Google Reader, Flipboard and Currents. I use Google Reader all the time, but mostly from a "real" computer. I have an 8" android tablet that I don't use as much, but have mainly the same apps.
I have a mix of free and pay apps. In general, if I like an app and it has a pay version I buy it, for two main reasons: 1. to support people who create good software, and; 2. free, ad-supported, apps can drain your battery and impact device performance.
So what are your favorite apps? Do you have any good recommendations for me?